Use expendable drones via stacking rules to checkmate (entrap) Clan Units for smaller to-hit Numbers & salvage

Discussions relating to the CBT, MechWarrior, or Dark Age series of PnP board, Console, or PC games. Trade tips and strategies.

Moderator: Ravion Hawk

eLMsm
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Use expendable drones via stacking rules to checkmate (entrap) Clan Units for smaller to-hit Numbers & salvage

Post by eLMsm »

Just an idea.
When do I “retreat” ? Only when I want to re+treat myself to eating cookies here in VT of USA. Here in VT, outside temperatures can get very cold; I suppose my miniatures won’t get overheated, ha ha.

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: Use expendable drones via stacking rules to checkmate (entrap) Clan Units for smaller to-hit Numbers & salvage

Post by Steve Ronin »

not a bad idea, if your drones are Combatant Sized.

but how many BV are you giving away?

the smallest/cheapest unit that could be a drone combatant is the simple wheeled APC.

and each one is 62 BV and you'd need 6 to 'entrap' an enemy unit.

6 APCs x 62 BV = 372 BV = a LOCUST scout Mech.

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE

eLMsm
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: Use expendable drones via stacking rules to checkmate (entrap) Clan Units for smaller to-hit Numbers & salvage

Post by eLMsm »

Hi Steve Ronin, actually numerous three tons I.C.E. powered drones could entrap Clan units that illegally immigrate onto Inner Sphere and/or Periphery worlds; each of those very low BV drones could each be without weapon(s) to each have very low 4 BV or so. Said drones could also divert shots from Clan units from main Inner Sphere & Periphery units.
When do I “retreat” ? Only when I want to re+treat myself to eating cookies here in VT of USA. Here in VT, outside temperatures can get very cold; I suppose my miniatures won’t get overheated, ha ha.

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Steve Ronin »

well, the Word of Blake CELERITY drone closest fits your description...except in cost: C-bills and BV: 156 BV per drone.
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Celerity

There are the PathTrack and NapFind drones used by the HI-Scout Drone Carrier: but those drones are still about 30 BV each.
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hi-Scout#Drones

I can't find anything in canon (or can be made using canon rules) that can OCCUPY a movement hex to block travel for any less BV.

It's a decent idea: but at most, you're gonna slow down a Clanner for 1 turn while they blow away the obstruction.

eLMsm
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by eLMsm »

If I remember correctly, the 3026 Ferret VTOL Cargo Variant has a BV of 5; perhaps it could be droneized. Theoretically:

5 internal structure points * 1.5 ;

*0.4 unit is VTOL;

* 1.8 Defensive Movement Modifier of +6 of 25+ hexes & +1 of VTOL MP & +1 Pilot not attacking like Dual Cockpit;

*0.50 for Piloting base +8 plus +1 drone plus +5 damage to pilot plus +1 damage to VTOL motive piloting;

=2.7 BV but probably about 2.5 BV because of Fragile Fuelbox & Poor Performance & Poor Worksmanship Negative Design Quirks

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Steve Ronin »

It has a BV of 17.
the very old ruleset couldn't quantify a cargo vtol, so only under those rules does it have a bV of 1.
but that old ruleset doesn't allow for any of the modifications you want.
so: BV of 17.
drone control setup would probably double that BV.

Honestly, for the expense and the BV, I'd just have a few tons of Thunder LRM minefields.
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Thunder_LRM

eLMsm
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by eLMsm »

How did you determine a BV of 17, and what calculations did you use to determine that BV of 17?

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Steve Ronin »

Directly from SARNA:

Cargo Ferret: Another variant was introduced by Cal-Boeing in 2972, though it does the complete opposite of the earlier "Wild Weasel." By removing all of the craft's armor, they were able to improve the Ferret's cargo carrying capacity to 2.5 tons without reducing performance. It can also lift a total of 7.75 tons of cargo at the expense of a fifty percent reduction in performance. BV (1.0) = 1, BV (2.0) = 17

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Ferret

eLMsm
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by eLMsm »

Interesting; but the Ferret looks like its MG is chin turreted (yeah, I know it’s not) ; TM or TO provides for a chin turret on any VTOL if space and tonnage are available, and so the Ferret could be upgraded that way with a reduction of ammo.