HOW DID YOU FIND OUT ABOUT BTU?

New to the site? Start your experience here!

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk, Typhoon

Odysseus

HOW DID YOU FIND OUT ABOUT BTU?

Post by Odysseus » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:32 am

I wanna start an official thread about where you all found out about the site. I'm just curious - for both new and old members. Please take the time to post and let me know - thanks!
Last edited by Odysseus on Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Administrator of Battletech Universe
Administrator of MyBattletech Media Server
Managing Editor of Argent Fire

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Typhoon » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:38 am

Darned if I can remember but I suspect it was through either CBT or wabbithole or Yahoo.

I used to regularly look at the links on CBT for new sites. More than likely it was via them.

DChiHorn
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by DChiHorn » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:55 am

I dont know that Ican completely remember myself. It was either rabbithole or google search i figure....

Child of Wonder
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Child of Wonder » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:58 am

Got fed up with HPG and found a link there.
"You think the people of this land exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom."
--Mel Gibson (Braveheart)

Squigglysquid
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Squigglysquid » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:23 am

I'm thinking there were several ways. First awhile back through Dogpile, and more recently (when I actually got involved on the forums) through a contest announcement at Lords of the Battlefield, or something like that.

Karandrs
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Karandrs » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:30 am

I think it was at Sarna. I use to be really big into Sarna back when it was just Battletech. One day out in Iraq I was looking through the threads over there and saw a post about this new B-tech site and whatever else was in the post intrested me so I joined up. It at least gave me something to do while on shift.

pthw199
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by pthw199 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:09 am

I believe I saw a link over at CBT one day. I think it might have been listed as "fan site of the month" or something - although I might have made that up. It's been a while...

Peter Wraight

SV_Harlequin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by SV_Harlequin » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:59 am

I floated here from the river of somewhere prob CBT.
Inara: Right. You're a criminal mastermind. What was the last cargo we snuck past the Alliance to transport?
Mal: We made a perfectly good piece-
Inara: What was the cargo?
Mal: They were dolls.
Inara: They were little geisha dolls with big heads that wobbled!

Duvidicus

Post by Duvidicus » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:45 pm

CBT.... was using their link section to try to find people in my area and new ideas, fell into this universe.

btw, i tried to link up thru yahoo search this morning, i got a grey page with "this site is temporarily down", but when i linked thru CBT you came up just fine. Might want to check on that.

FireFox
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by FireFox » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:03 pm

say a post on another web forum and wandered over here.

S
"Who spat in your test tube 'true'?"

Prophet

Post by Prophet » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:15 pm

Lawgiver told me about it. 8)

oriontwin

Post by oriontwin » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:25 am

I was doing a Google search on House Marik... (I was trying to find out about the "real" Thomas Marik)... as I didn't have the sourcebook nor the Field Manual... (and when I did, I STILL didn't know)...
Found this site and was instantly hooked.

Lawgiver
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Lawgiver » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:52 pm

A Google search

Lawgiver
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Lawgiver » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:55 pm

Prophet wrote:Lawgiver told me about it. 8)
What can I say, it is an easy way to earn C-Bills. :wink:
http://www.battletechuniverse.org/forms ... l_form.php

SwordOfLight

Post by SwordOfLight » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:47 pm

oriontwin wrote:I was doing a Google search on House Marik... (I was trying to find out about the "real" Thomas Marik)... as I didn't have the sourcebook nor the Field Manual... (and when I did, I STILL didn't know)...
What exactly are you trying to find out about the "real" Thomas Marik? Other than the fact that he's Janos' son, and that he was in that explosion, there wasn't much written about him that I know of.

Karandrs
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Karandrs » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:50 pm

SwordOfLight wrote:
oriontwin wrote:I was doing a Google search on House Marik... (I was trying to find out about the "real" Thomas Marik)... as I didn't have the sourcebook nor the Field Manual... (and when I did, I STILL didn't know)...
What exactly are you trying to find out about the "real" Thomas Marik? Other than the fact that he's Janos' son, and that he was in that explosion, there wasn't much written about him that I know of.
I guess you're not aware of the whole Fake Thomas storyline. The Thomas Marik that is the leader of the FWL isn't really Thomas Marik. He was a Comstar plant.

oriontwin

Post by oriontwin » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:34 am

Karandrs wrote:
SwordOfLight wrote:
I guess you're not aware of the whole Fake Thomas storyline. The Thomas Marik that is the leader of the FWL isn't really Thomas Marik. He was a Comstar plant.
And... Since I haven't read much of the novels since the original Grey Death trillogy... I didn't know that. Just came upon it in a post somewhere and had to know what the heck they were talking about! Now I know! (thanks to the other members who have read the fiction...)

And that's just ONE of the things that I have learned about the CBT universe that I couldn't get from the Sourcebooks or Field Manuals.

SwordOfLight

Post by SwordOfLight » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:14 pm

Karandrs wrote:I guess you're not aware of the whole Fake Thomas storyline. The Thomas Marik that is the leader of the FWL isn't really Thomas Marik. He was a Comstar plant.
No, I'm pretty well aware of that storyline.

The poster asked about the "real" Thomas Marik. All I know about the "real" Thomas Marik is that he's Janos' son, and was in that explosion.

Everything else we know about "Thomas Marik", supposedly, is actually what we know about the Comstar plant, and not the "real" Thomas Marik.

That is, unless, the "real" Thomas Marik showed up later in the storyline, in which case I missed it. (There are a few holes in my novel collection in between the end of the "Twilight of the Clans" and "Endgame", so if something appeared in there, please let me know.)

oriontwin

Post by oriontwin » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:05 pm

SwordOfLight wrote:
Karandrs wrote:I guess you're not aware of the whole Fake Thomas storyline. The Thomas Marik that is the leader of the FWL isn't really Thomas Marik. He was a Comstar plant.
No, I'm pretty well aware of that storyline.

The poster asked about the "real" Thomas Marik. All I know about the "real" Thomas Marik is that he's Janos' son, and was in that explosion.

Everything else we know about "Thomas Marik", supposedly, is actually what we know about the Comstar plant, and not the "real" Thomas Marik.

That is, unless, the "real" Thomas Marik showed up later in the storyline, in which case I missed it. (There are a few holes in my novel collection in between the end of the "Twilight of the Clans" and "Endgame", so if something appeared in there, please let me know.)
As other members have told me... he showed up as a mid-level functionary "in the service of" the fake Thomas.

SwordOfLight

Post by SwordOfLight » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:16 am

oriontwin wrote:As other members have told me... he showed up as a mid-level functionary "in the service of" the fake Thomas.
Does anyone know where this happened (ie. which novel/sourcebook was it mentioned in)? I'd love to read about it in more detail.

That's cool; I had no idea the real one had shown up at any point. I'd assumed that the real one had died in the explosion and Comstar stole his body, then planted their ... plant :)

Lawgiver
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Lawgiver » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:29 am

Can we start this in another thread please? Thanks.

oriontwin

Post by oriontwin » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:45 pm

Lawgiver wrote:Can we start this in another thread please? Thanks.
Sorry, Lawgiver. It's one of the nice things of BTU... we get easily side-tracked by the universe! ;)

Odysseus

Post by Odysseus » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:25 pm

Yea.. but this thread did have a specific purpose. Please keep it there, thanks :) Thanks Lawgiver
Administrator of Battletech Universe
Administrator of MyBattletech Media Server
Managing Editor of Argent Fire

Fokker069

Post by Fokker069 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:33 am

No Mariks here, just some info for the Odysseus. I found a link for this website on the HEAVYMETALPRO forums, which I frequent on a daily basis. Come here, liked what I saw and the rest will be history, I guess 8)

NeoAres
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by NeoAres » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:30 pm

i found this place twice, both times in the mektek forums. The first time i dont remember what transpired, but i registered and then forgot all about the place. the second time was for the summer fiction contest and here i am now to stay
Rhoubhe says: darn quads