Some random 'mech Sketches

Post your fan art here. Ask questions and get advice from the pros.

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk, thecircus, shalom itay

Choppa 6
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Choppa 6 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:05 pm

The images are amazing!! Cannot wait till the TRO is ready!

Centurion13
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Centurion13 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:24 pm

What do you think of that? BTW, the girl has a shirt now....

Cent13
Last edited by Centurion13 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dread
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dread » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:32 pm

Majorly rooted in anime, which, to my mind, is not wholly a bad thing. I think I would go ahead and get rid of the half-shirt the woman is wearing in favor of a full uniform, though.

The vehicle looks good, and would do quite well for a page in a TRO.
"Ejection seats are for wimps! Real men ride 'em to the ground!" -- conversation overheard between a VTOL pilot and an aerojock.

Blackhawk01

Post by Blackhawk01 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:35 pm

Sweet! Why the HELL the powers that be can never find this kind of talent?!

Centurion13
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Centurion13 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:01 am

Yes, the bared midriff is this artist's weakness (that and a generous bosom on all his ladies). Not sure that is a weakness, really, but it does nudge the piece into anime territory more than I would like.

I have already asked him to correct it and stretch the original vertically by 15% to correct the original's 'squashed' look.

But never mind the Bollocks, here's the Velite...er, Sex Pistol.

Squigglysquid
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Squigglysquid » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:19 am

Nom nom nom... I'm eating this stuff up. Amazing work and again, can't wait for one of these... Striker is especially sexy, with or without the young lady (and yeah, I think the uniform will be better overall. I mean nothing against "tank"-tops, :wink: and I like the drawing style, but think I prefer the mil-top in this instance...)

Dread
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dread » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:24 am

So... What's the tank packing, 5 LRM 15's, a guass rifle, and a pair of medium lasers?

Nice illustration.
"Ejection seats are for wimps! Real men ride 'em to the ground!" -- conversation overheard between a VTOL pilot and an aerojock.

Centurion13
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Centurion13 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:13 pm

Dread wrote:So... What's the tank packing, 5 LRM 15's, a guass rifle, and a pair of medium lasers?

Nice illustration.
Actually, it's an Infantry Support Vehicle. It has eight tons of dedicated infantry bay, moves at 4/6 and features a large laser, two medium lasers and five one-shot RL-15s. Quite a nasty surprise for the first large opponent that crosses it.

Cent13

Dread
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dread » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:09 pm

Coolness.

Choppa 6
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Choppa 6 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:22 pm

Centurion13 wrote:Image

What do you think of that? BTW, the girl has a shirt now....

Cent13
What? There's a version of her without a shirt?

Dread
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dread » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:18 pm

There was a version that had her wearing a half-shirt. Some of us pointed out that outside of anime it was an unlikely uniform.

Personally, while I regard the full length tank-top as an improvement, I really think she ought to be wearing a full uniform top, kind of like the guy kneeling next to the vehicle.

Centurion13
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Centurion13 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:28 pm

Hah. If you want to know the truth, I am afraid to go back to the artist and ask him to add *more* cloth to this young lady's outfit. I have seen uni-tops worn and was happy to get rid of the Brittany Spears look, but Lee will probably set his pet wolf on me if I ask for a uniform top....

Cent13

Dread
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dread » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:02 pm

That would be... inconvenient. I'd hate to see the wolf get indigestion.

Centurion13
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Centurion13 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:45 pm

Nightsky, second time around. The first one was too broad in the beam and chunky overall.

Last one, too.

Cent13

Dread
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dread » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:55 am

I thought it was a Hatchetman at first. Nice re-work. I love the cockpit/head.

Squigglysquid
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Squigglysquid » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:05 am

Hot d@** I'm in love, I'm in love and I don't care who knows it!...

That's shmexy as burning napalm! The cockpit is indeed nice, and the feet, and heck, the rest of it too. Tiny bit skinny in the waist, but who cares. Hard to criticize because I'm a fan of your drawing style and concepts overall... another win! Very cool!

IAMCLANWOLF

Post by IAMCLANWOLF » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:47 pm

Eriance wrote:The Panther (tank) and the 3063 version of the Sentinel.

Wow...now that's a Sentinel. Most impressive!
My Portfolio

FOREVER [Ulric] KERENSKY!

Eriance
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Eriance » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:21 pm

Finalized set for the last set of mechs of 2009. Going to be my last btech drawing for awhile as I began working on my own Mech/Spaceship (mostly spaceships) RPG stuff. Still hammering out the rules, construction, and design themes. :/

Serious Business

Squigglysquid
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Squigglysquid » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:53 am

:shock: o_O WOW. Drool... That's quite the display of heavy metal. Again, really like your art style. Some awesome solid designs. The one with the "Japan-pants" =P kinda as me thrown (interesting, but a *tad ;) unorthodox for BT. Are we talking Miko as in Shrine maiden/sorceress?) And that Jenner and Sentinel... Have to be 2 of my faves. Thanks as always for sharing!

BlackHornet
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by BlackHornet » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:15 am

Well I wouldn't be ashamed to be got running around in any of these machines.
Very nice!
BlackHawk01-"Everyone knows a cool BattleBuggy needs a bitchin' set of pipes..."

Eriance
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Eriance » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:13 pm

Haven't posted here in a while due to school and most of my BT activity being moved to Catalyst Game Labs' forums. This is what I've been working on for the past months:

INFO:

1) Scorpion II - 3063: This is a commission for the 3063 TRO. It's also the first quad-mech I've drawn. I'm surprised that it didn't turn out like ass like all previous attempts. This thing has a Gauss Rifle, 2 Med Lasers, 2 ER Med Lasers, 2 AMS, and 4 jump jets.

2) Culverin Prime - 3063: This is a redrawn version of an older mech I made for the 3063 TRO. Was originally something of my own, but then it looked too heavy. Thus it was converted as a replacement. The Culverin Prime carries a AC/10, A ER-PPC, LRM-10, and 2 ER Med. Lasers.

3) Fighting Falcon: One of the newest commissioned mechs I've finished. The thing is 55 tons with a AC-5, LRM-5, SRM-6, a ER Large Laser, and a Targeting computer. The cockpit is large because it's a double. Was trying slightly different styles on the Battletech 'mechs to see how they fit together. I didn't want to make it too anime-like, or it loses some of the BT feel.

4) Myrmidon: Was originally a custom Wolverine, but it looked too different to bare that name. This thing carries a Heavy-PPC, MML-7, and ER Medium Laser. Has 5 Jump jets (JP-5). The design looks a bit too anime for BT, but think the drawing turned out decently.

5) Sorcerer - A mech of my own design that I tried to sketch out over half a year ago. The original sketch was a total failure, although the design looked similar to this one. I retried it last night and it came out ok. This is a 75-tonner IS mech with a ER PPC, HPPC, 3 Medium Lasers, and a LRM-15.

6) Battle Axe - This is a commissioned Battle Axe. The drawing is based on a mini-figure made by the client, not the canon TRO 3075 version.

7) Privateer (PV1k) - First of 2 models of the same mech. It's designed after the MekTek mech of the same name (which the original art was derived from). This version of the 3063-Privateer is 75 tons, armored with 2 UAC-5s, 2 MRM-20s, 2 Med. Lasers, and a ER-PPC. It's go 3 jump jets, but I didn't bother showing those in this picture.

8) Privateer (PV2L) - The second version of the 3063-Privateer. This variant has 2 ER Large Lasers, 2 ER Med. Lasers, and a LBX-10. This one has 4 Jump jets, which I didn't bother showing.

9) Isometrus (v.4) - took me 3 tries to redesign one of the first mechs that I made for the 3063 TRO. This came out the best of the 3. Starting to move away from the blocky look that my other mechs are based on and moving towards more of an smoothed out aerodynamic look to slowly ease my way into drawing airplanes. The war load on this thing is the same as before, 4 ER-Sm lasers, 2 Flamers, and 2 MGs.

10) Halberd - Was originally a custom Warhammer, but it looks different enough to get a new name. Took several attempts, and a long time to sketch and ink. This mech has 2 ER-PPCs, 2 SRM-6s, 2 ER-Med. Lasers, and 2 MGs.

11)Orochi - 3085: One of the 2 pieces I made for official CGL TRO 3085. The other was a tank, but I don't have enough of other tanks to upload it with. This is a Long-Bow based mech' with 2 Thunderbolt-20s, 2 SSRM-4s, and a ER Small Laser. The design is based on the MechWarrior 4 Longbow, by *Mecha-Master (David White).
--------------------------------------------------
My newest one is a Custom WoB Mech - "Inquisitor".

1) Inquisitor: Invictus: This is a Word of Blake mech'; don't know much about BT lore, so i just based a lot of elements on the 3075 WoB "Angel" series. THis is a 65 tonner with 4 LPPCs, 2 Med. Pulse Lasers, 2. Sm. Pulse lasers, 2 LMGs, and an ER-Flamer. It has 4/6/6 movement with 6 improved Jumpjets. Dunno how it will play in-game, but I based the weapons load on the look. I have the other 4 Variants built in SSW, but no finalized design yet.
Serious Business

Paint it Pink

Post by Paint it Pink » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:04 am

Seriously good artwork.
The Unseen once seen cannot be unseen

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/

Castle
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Castle » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:08 pm

Eriance, can you do anything with that horrid looking Ebony from TRO 3085?
Ok, so you brought a BFG, now let's see if you are smart enough to bring it to bear.

Just don't expect me to walk right out in front of you.

Centurion13
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Centurion13 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:14 am

To be honest, I cannot for the life of me understand what the Ebony's mission profile might be. It looks for all the world like an optimized sabre-dancer. The snub-nose PPC has no minimum range - my guess is that this one closes at high speed, relying on its stealth armor and movement modifier for protection. When it gets to nine hexes, bang-bang and it's gone on to the next victim, still running.

The problem is this: it has to get up to speed in order to gain the bonus. If it takes a turn, make a PSR for skidding and hope like heck you have good dice. This thing does not have the armor to protect it from a collision with anything. Running straight? Fine - you have to get in range to make the most of the PPC. But you will always have a +2 modifier to your shooting due to the movement.

Best not to tackle anything packing more than a large laser. I can think of a lot of 'Mechs which benefit from stupefyingly high speeds - but they are either scouts or harriers. Most pack a warload more flexible than the SN PPC. This unit might qualify as a C3 'spoiler', zipping in and disrupting a network at inconvenient times. But other than that narrow mission profile? Not sure where I would use this.

The sad part is that the fluff doesn't give us much in the way of actually describing how best to use it in battle other than in 'recon lances'. Why a machine with no Beagle Active Probe is in a recon lance - on a table where everyone can see where everyone else is anyway - is beyond me.

The variants - MEB-10 and MEB-11 - are hardly an improvement. Despite taking different weapons (one creates even more heat and the other is ammo-reliant), they both require a compact cockpit - a cramped affair which adds a +1 penalty to PSRs and is decidedly not what you want when rolling to negotiate a high-speed turn.

You could make it look better, I'll grant that. Chaffee is not one of the more gifted artists in the CGL stable. But I think Eriance would be wasting his time on a machine with so little going for it in the design department. I would dearly love to see the results the designer got when he/she tested this out on an actual tabletop. We are supposed to be in 3085, not 3055, and presumably the Houses would by now have dropped the practice of putting sub-standard designs into production.

Cent13