Some random 'mech Sketches

Post your fan art here. Ask questions and get advice from the pros.

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk, thecircus, shalom itay

Red Pins
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Red Pins »

120 pages = only 1/10th? This is one big arse TRO? o_o
Oh no. That's just the fluff for the individual groups involved. I have three done, averaging about 40 pages each, following the Warden/Crusader sourcedbook set-up. The TROs are set to follow three periods, each involving new weapons as they become available and a sort of "Phoenix Project"-upgrades; essentially upgrades of existing designs.

Now, the TROs are only going to be 40-50 designs ('Mechs, homebrew stuff, and vehicles - military and civilian) per, so they won't be that bad. I don't think my wife would approve anything like Cent 13's efforts, so most of them won't have anything other than fluff and stats.
Quantity is actually a hindrance. I wish Red Pins luck. He/she is going to need it in spades.
Yeah. Without question. Still, its something to do during luches at work and during those boring get-togethers with the in-laws. Outlines arealready written, now its just the typing and fluff. Should be ready by... 2015 or so.

Centurion13
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Centurion13 »

Red Pins wrote:Outlines arealready written, now its just the typing and fluff. Should be ready by... 2015 or so.
Oy. If I had a dollar for every time I thought that while working on TRO:3063, I would be able to retire a wealthy man. "Just the typing and fluff" encompasses a world of pain if you are (a) going it alone and (b) planning to do it well. The minute, the very microsecond you hand it over to another competent writer, you are going to find out what your blind spots are, where they are, and what you will have to rip out and write over again to 'make it gooder'. Trust me when I say (shakes head sadly) that there will be a lot. More than you ever thought possible.

A few words of advice: check your ego at the door if you plan to work with someone else. Otherwise you are going to feel utterly worthless as a writer more often than not, and that can take the wind out of your writing sails quick, fast and in a hurry.

Take the time and effort to surround yourself with the resources needed to do your research. There will be a LOT of that, and it is painstakingly slow. I have a copy in PDF of nearly every book ever written for the game (excepting the novels) and they are invaluable. There are a lot of canon landmines waiting for you out there, and just as many fans of the game who are willing to point out your missteps in excruciating detail.

Again, good luck.

Cent13

BlackHornet
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by BlackHornet »

Eriance wrote:Custom Jagermech complete.

Think i'm going to take a break on drawing mechs and start practicing on some vehicles and airplanes. I need serious work on those. :(
Holy crap someone actually managed to make a jager that looks good. :)
BlackHawk01-"Everyone knows a cool BattleBuggy needs a bitchin' set of pipes..."

Red Pins
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Red Pins »

Oy. If I had a dollar for every time I thought that while working on TRO:3063, I would be able to retire a wealthy man. "Just the typing and fluff" encompasses a world of pain if you are (a) going it alone and (b) planning to do it well. The minute, the very microsecond you hand it over to another competent writer, you are going to find out what your blind spots are, where they are, and what you will have to rip out and write over again to 'make it gooder'. Trust me when I say (shakes head sadly) that there will be a lot. More than you ever thought possible.

A few words of advice: check your ego at the door if you plan to work with someone else. Otherwise you are going to feel utterly worthless as a writer more often than not, and that can take the wind out of your writing sails quick, fast and in a hurry.

Take the time and effort to surround yourself with the resources needed to do your research. There will be a LOT of that, and it is painstakingly slow. I have a copy in PDF of nearly every book ever written for the game (excepting the novels) and they are invaluable. There are a lot of canon landmines waiting for you out there, and just as many fans of the game who are willing to point out your missteps in excruciating detail.
Heheheheh... That's ok; I've never found anybody else interested in it, and WTH, "It's mine, all MINE!" I may NEVER show it to anybody, especially the TROs and homebrew equipment, although I may eventually learn web design and put it on the Battletech Web-ring as a fan resource for those interested in the universe.

Eriance
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Eriance »

Here's the Champion II, for the 3063 TRO.

Serious Business

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Steve Ronin »

**Ka-wham!*

...hmm...
either Ft. AP Hill is shooting howitzers, or CJ Keys just blew a load in Fredericksburg.

Give the pure awesomeness of this Mech, I'm betting on the latter.

:D :thumleft:

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE

Red Pins
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Red Pins »

:shock:

God, I can't wait for Cent 13's TRO. When's the target publishing date, again?

Centurion13
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Centurion13 »

Christmas of 2009.

Cent13

Choppa 6
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Choppa 6 »

I will be up for one!

Squigglysquid
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Squigglysquid »

Just... *Drool* ... :D :shock: Awesome. I will also take a TRO... count on that.

Red Pins
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Red Pins »

I'm thinking of using his art as a screensaver. I had 6-5 yr. olds standing at my office door, looking at his Champion II while I let a teacher back into her classroom.

One of them was interested enough to ask me what it was for - a new apprentice for the Dark Side!

Eriance
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Eriance »

Here's my own take on the "Daimyo" from the 3055 TRO.

Came out heavier looking than I wanted, and i messed up a bit on one of the knees. Otherwise, it looks ok.

The Gallowglas, Komodo, and Battlehawk are next on the list for my 3055 reworks (Gallowglas will be done tonight, probably). I also have 2 custom mechs as well as a couple for the 3063 TRO.

EDIT: Scaled cockpit up to make the rest of the mech smaller - closer to 40 tons.
Last edited by Eriance on Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Serious Business

Choppa 6
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Choppa 6 »

Frikkin awesome!! Great as usual! This TRO is gonna kick ass!

thecircus
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by thecircus »

Looks good!!1

Jeff
"This is Liberty Hall, You can spit on the mat and call the cat a bastard!"

[fullalbumimg]3303[/fullalbumimg]
[fullalbumimg]3543[/fullalbumimg]

Blackhawk01

Post by Blackhawk01 »

Your work continues to amaze! 8) Oh what might have been if CBT had worked off such quality art.... :cry:

Eriance
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Eriance »

TY! :)

Here's my take on the Gallowglass - 3055

I moved some of the stuff around. One of the Large Lasers have been moved to the other side of the body to make the thing more physically balanced. The 2 Medium Pulse Lasers have been shifted to the shoulder so punching doesn't damage the lasers. Otherwise it's pretty much the same 'mech.
Serious Business

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by AVA MANGO TWO »

I really like the above Gallowglass, in games turms its one of those mechs thats usually over looked but its one of my favorite mech designs to field. Nice work on this redraw as it still keeps the looks and feel of an outstanding mech. 8) zac

Blackhawk01

Post by Blackhawk01 »

Your style really draws on Battletech's Robotech roots without making them look Gundam-y 8)

Eriance
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Eriance »

Here's the custom "Cataphract" for the 3063 TRO.

Not the prettiest looking 'mech, but the drawing and design came out pretty solid.
Serious Business

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by AVA MANGO TWO »

A great piece of artwork as always, but a far cry from the Cataphract design as far as im concerned. I would have given it some more curves to atleast try to capture the original art concept that much more.

Centurion13
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Centurion13 »

ImageImage

Fair enough. What sterling feature, what popular styling cue from either of these excellent renderings would you suggest we keep?

I couldn't find any. These are uglier than the devil backing out of an outhouse reading Mad magazine, and Eric did the best he could to retain what they had in common - chicken legs.

I told him to do what pleased him. What he has accomplished pleases me. Considering his talent, it's money well-spent.

Retaining so little in common with these particular bits of original art is not a shortcoming - it's a blessing!

Cent13

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by AVA MANGO TWO »

Fair enough. What sterling feature, what popular styling cue from either of these excellent renderings would you suggest we keep?

I couldn't find any. These are uglier than the devil backing out of an outhouse reading Mad magazine, and Eric did the best he could to retain what they had in common - chicken legs.

I told him to do what pleased him. What he has accomplished pleases me. Considering his talent, it's money well-spent.

Retaining so little in common with these particular bits of original art is not a shortcoming - it's a blessing!

Cent13
Well so long as you are happy with the final artwork that’s all well and good then, after all you paying for it. I was just expressing my opinion which I’m fully entitled to without you getting all steamed up under the collar about for no reason so just calm down, if you are interested in some independent input then let me know as I may or may not give it now….

Centurion13
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Centurion13 »

AVA MANGO TWO wrote:

Cent13
Well so long as you are happy with the final artwork that’s all well and good then, after all you paying for it. I was just expressing my opinion which I’m fully entitled to without you getting all steamed up under the collar about for no reason so just calm down, if you are interested in some independent input then let me know as I may or may not give it now….
The piece is finished and is satisfactory, but it's a free forum. I am not steamed, but again, given the original art, straying from non-existent styling cues is actually a good thing. My point is that the two illustrations have nearly *nothing* in common - what on earth is poor Eriance to make of your statement that he could have done better capturing the 'original art concept'?

Cent13

Red Pins
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Red Pins »

Hehehehehehe. "Chicken legs"! He said "Chicken legs"!

-Actually makes we want to use one.

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by AVA MANGO TWO »

My point is that the two illustrations have nearly *nothing* in common - what on earth is poor Eriance to make of your statement that he could have done better capturing the 'original art concept'?

Cent13
Well the right hand side artwork was never intended to be used, that was basically a page filler to accompany the original stats, I cant recall what publication its in but ive a gut feeling it was in the original Liao House book or McCarrons Armored Cavlary suplement as I remember the artwork being printed in green and black.
The original art concept and I ment to say official art concept would be the artwork from which the miniature was sculpted from which as most know is the art work on the left hand side, and I wont go into what I would have done because you have stated you are very pleased with the above posted rendition.
Last edited by AVA MANGO TWO on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.