Some random 'mech Sketches

Post your fan art here. Ask questions and get advice from the pros.

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk, thecircus, shalom itay

Paint it Pink

Post by Paint it Pink »

You have certainly made an uncool mech look well cool with the jagermech drawing. Now if only IWM would do a miniature? I know, I know... just sayin' is all.
The Unseen once seen cannot be unseen

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/

kampson
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by kampson »

Very nice Jagermech.

If you would like some suggestions on vehicles or planes to do let me know. :)
Capt Kampson

Eriance
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Eriance »

kampson wrote:Very nice Jagermech.

If you would like some suggestions on vehicles or planes to do let me know. :)
I'm going to start off with the 3055 planes first, since that book seems to have a lotta "O_o" designs.

On a related note, does Solaris Skunk Werks support vehicles and planes? Or will it ever? I have a design for a aerofighter, but I dont know how to allocate the stats. Or maybe i'll just post the art here next weekend after my 2 exams ( :( ).

I opened a list of ten things people would most want to see redesigned over at the Catalyst Game Lab forums. Maybe you can post your suggestions there. Since I'm only gonna be able to do 10 all together, i'm just gonna have people vote on the most popular ones. :)
Serious Business

kampson
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by kampson »

Nope skunk works only does mechs.

But, if you post here or on CBT most people would be happy to runs the designs for you through Heavy Metal Aero.

Especially if you tell them the reason. :)
Capt Kampson

Dart Omega
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dart Omega »

I must say the Jag looks nice, kind of reminds me of the corvis(sp)/Storm crow(Two mechs I like the looks of :) ).

Cronicler
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Cronicler »

1 problem with 3063 custom Anvil for Centurion13
Those LT and RT guns (Heavy Lasers? PPCs?) are restricting the view from the cockpit too much. They should be a bit lower at waist level not to block sight.

Other than that I hate you and I am extremely jelous of your talent and skill :P
Keep up the good work mate.

Centurion13
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Centurion13 »

Cronicler wrote:1 problem with 3063 custom Anvil for Centurion13
Those LT and RT guns (Heavy Lasers? PPCs?) are restricting the view from the cockpit too much. They should be a bit lower at waist level not to block sight.
No such restriction exists, as the Mechwarrior does not depend on a window view to see what is going on out on the battlefield.

If the pilots were restricted to what they could see from the cockpit, there would be a LOT of useless 'Mechs! Take the Vulcan, for example....

Cent13

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by AVA MANGO TWO »

I did not want to say anything on this topic when i read it as Typhoon and i have been in quite a long debate over this issue which is still ongoing after a good couple of years now atleast... 8)
"Artificial view's via holographic screens or natural view's via the cockpit canopy."

Centurion13
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Centurion13 »

AVA MANGO TWO wrote:I did not want to say anything on this topic when i read it as Typhoon and i have been in quite a long debate over this issue which is still ongoing after a good couple of years now atleast... 8)
"Artificial view's via holographic screens or natural view's via the cockpit canopy."
I see no reason why you cannot employ both, to a greater or lesser degree depending on the configuration of the 'Mech. It does not have to be one or the other exclusively.

Cent13

Eriance
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Eriance »

Here's the first Btech vehicle I've done - the "Zephyus" VTOL for the 3063 TRO.

Has an AC/5 and 4 RL-15s. Design came out kinda "meh" but only practice will fix that.
Serious Business

thecircus
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by thecircus »

Not bad for a first try.

jeff
"This is Liberty Hall, You can spit on the mat and call the cat a bastard!"

[fullalbumimg]3303[/fullalbumimg]
[fullalbumimg]3543[/fullalbumimg]

kampson
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by kampson »

Not bad at all.

Not sure I like the "tail rocket", only cause current tech would not use it but over all looks very nice.

If you increase in quality/skill/perspective like you did with the mechs... we all will be wanting you to do artwork for us for everything. :)
Capt Kampson

Cronicler
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Cronicler »

You know.. I hate you and I will stalk you :lol: on the interwebz!
Keep up the good work mate :thumleft: I won't bore you with nags about tail and the Ac here :P

Blackhawk01

Post by Blackhawk01 »

My suggestion would be twin tail pods instead of the single underslung pod.

MechRat
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by MechRat »

Eriance, you may say "meh" but I say "well done"! If this is your first effort at non-'Mech drawing, once you get some practice you may actually surpass your 'Mech drawings. Keep practicing! :thumleft:
(avatar by Knightmare)

"Beware the quiet ones, for you know not what they think." - me

OurBattleTech - A place for Alternate Universes to call home

Eriance
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Eriance »

Redesign of the earlier "Zephyrus". Fixed many of the perspective problems and design flaws.

Serious Business

thecircus
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by thecircus »

not bad

Jeff
"This is Liberty Hall, You can spit on the mat and call the cat a bastard!"

[fullalbumimg]3303[/fullalbumimg]
[fullalbumimg]3543[/fullalbumimg]

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by AVA MANGO TWO »

I did'nt comment on the first one as it was good but it just did not have that Wow factor however i will comment on this one, i think you have really got a fantastic design going on here the twin tail booster's look right and balance out the VTOL i like the newly positioned body mounted swivel thrusters and with the new stubby wings they look just right in my opionion and the addition of the nose mounted RAC just caps everything off to form a really evil looking gunship, very well redrawn sir... :D zac

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Steve Ronin »

muy excellente' work!!!

my only nitpick: the chin gun is too long and seems outsized to the rest of the airframe.

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE

kampson
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by kampson »

Yes very nice redo.

You think that is nice artwork. Wait till you see the fluff and rest of the artwork and designs included in the TRO:3063

The chin gun is a RAC-5 and the missle systems are RL-15s.

So barrel to me is about right for that size wep on that sized "airframe".

Course its just a personal preference. :)
Capt Kampson

Centurion13
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Centurion13 »

I agree, the chin gun barrel length should be reduced from 30 to 50% of its present length. It unbalances the design. Otherwise the machine is spot on and represents the design perfectly.

Cent13

Squigglysquid
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Squigglysquid »

This thread is a gem... Honestly it's the style of art that made me first really appreciate BT, and any perspective issues, tweaks aside, I really enjoy your work. I've always had a soft spot for VTOLs, and these (even the first attempt) are kickin'. Keep it up. :D

Red Pins
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Red Pins »

Holy Cow!

Say, what do you charge on commission, on average? I'm already keeping an eye on Cent 13's upcoming TRO, and finding your art here was a real bonus! I can't access the deviant art site at work, but you better bet your socks I'm going to find time at home once I finish some major chores.

I have a couple of unique ideas I've gotten tired of describing and some art like this would put a great big smile on my face.

By the way, I feel Cent 13 is right about the developers, not that I won't buy all I can afford, and started my own project. Unfortunately, the fluff for the project is growing by leaps and bounds and is already over 120 pages with less than a 1/10th done. I'm starting to favor working on the unique units and concepts involved over the fiction and have a rough estimate of 3 TRO-outline books over the course of the timeline.

Then an Atlas, Objective Raids-style, giving the system data and environmental information.

Eriance
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Eriance »

120 pages = only 1/10th? This is one big arse TRO? o_o
Serious Business

Centurion13
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Centurion13 »

Wait and see what he uses to illustrate it. That has been a big factor in our own efforts.

Furthermore, sheer volume of fluff is to be expected at the beginning. I recall the initial writeups for my own TRO coming to twelve hundred words, most of it ideas I threw out for the entry. As the months passed, we hammered away until they conformed to the 750-word limit. Some ended up getting replaced entirely, others retained their shape from beginning to end.

Pagecount is misleading, Eriance. I for one would find it nearly impossible to fill 1200 pages with anything, never mind just new designs for BattleTech. Of course, if you set everything at ten point, I suppose a 200-page TRO could be expanded to more. But the problem is not getting it printed, so to speak. It's getting to and maintaining the quality of writing for something that big. I found it difficult to stay within the parameters of the year I was given (3063), while creating or polishing or just presenting designs which were not copies of some other machine.

We had to look forward in time as well as back, and it became easier when we went from designs sparked by 'wouldn't this be cool?' to ones which filled a niche or a mission profile not currently occupied by a better machine.

Twenty-five years is a long time in the gaming world and there is a lot of canon out there which acts partly as an established structure, and partly as a minefield. As a writer, I had to learn to let some things go, no matter if they were rough drafts or highly-polished pieces ready for the printed page. I spent a year and a half doing this, and had enormous amounts of help, but have shelved nearly every other hobby to pursue this TRO to its logical conclusion.

Vlad wanted another TRO:3062, but I wanted to avoid the 'meh' response that received (a response, by the way, which really got him angry), and striving for an improved work forced me to become a better writer, editor and project leader. The art is key, and unless this fellow is independently wealthy or willing to use stock art....

Quantity is actually a hindrance. I wish Red Pins luck. He/she is going to need it in spades.

Cent13