TLC

Discuss tips & ideas, seek out or give help on conversions, painting and the minis themselves.

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

TLC

Post by AVA MANGO TWO » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:08 pm

Even the fugliest of sculpts can be made to look half decent with a little bit of TLC, i started this to just kill 5 minutes while waiting for something else on the bench to dry and just lost tract of time.
Well as you can all see its a old Plastech Catapult from the boxset, this has to be one of the worst miniatures ever produced, its lacks detail and is very poorly cast for such a over sized rendition of the classic Catapult.
So i started to add some extra detail here and there and got slightly carried away, anyway you can play spot the differences between the two if you like. :wink: enjoy zac

DriverJ
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by DriverJ » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:51 pm

That the cat. that comes in the Classic Battletech set?

oh and it looks to me like you cleaned up most of the armor lines, added the chin guns, cleaned up the guns on the hips and made them have an actual barrel opening. Cleaned up the missile racks, added the missile rack doors, cleaned up the mold lines on the hex base, cleaned out the rear foot molding extra, added the "dimples" on the side of the missile racks, and it looks like you added some detail in the area between the missile racks.

Any one else catch anything I missed?
Alpha assault this is HQ, what is your situation...

Blackhawk01

Post by Blackhawk01 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:51 pm

Excellent facelift Zac!

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by AVA MANGO TWO » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:56 am

That the cat. that comes in the Classic Battletech set?
No its came from the old Plastech Boxset with the chunky Atlas, BD look a like Locust, weird looking chicken like Valkyrie, one handed Hunchback and and a sleep walking Watchman. :)

Cazaril
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Cazaril » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:31 am

You know, I read a lot of complaints about the PlasTech minis, but this only shows that with a little work, they have potential.

Are they the greatest ever produced?,... No. But they aren't the worst either. The soft plastic unseen ones (where did those come from?), have dimples galore and fuzz-up when you try to clean them.

Maybe it's just that these were some of the first BattleTech minis I painted, and they have a place in my heart....

BTW, great job on cleaning up the Catapult. I hope the paint job it gets is just as good.

Sleep walking Watchman? Trebuchets, BlackJacks and Panthers (along with what you already mentioned), but I don't remember Watchman.

Caz

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by AVA MANGO TWO » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:41 am

Sleep walking Watchman? Trebuchets, BlackJacks and Panthers (along with what you already mentioned), but I don't remember Watchman.
I thought it was a Watchmam but now i think about it the Watchman is a 3055 tech design, so the sleep walking miniature must be the Blackjack or possibly the Trebuchet. :oops: zac

agen
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by agen » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:18 pm

Yeah! :thumleft:

DriverJ
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by DriverJ » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:30 pm

Ava/Zac,

I just got the Classic Battletech Intro boxed set, and some of the minis need god clean-up like the work you did hear. What did you use to add the dimples on the side of the missile racks, and for the missile tubes themselves?
Alpha assault this is HQ, what is your situation...

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by AVA MANGO TWO » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:38 pm

DriverJ wrote:Ava/Zac,

I just got the Classic Battletech Intro boxed set, and some of the minis need god clean-up like the work you did hear. What did you use to add the dimples on the side of the missile racks, and for the missile tubes themselves?
The missile tubes i just redrilled out to make them look a bit neater useing a 0.5mm drill bit fixed into my pin vice, the same with the dimples on the side of the launchers but i went back and filled them in with super glue gel and left it to set for a couple of hours and when its dry it leaves a little raised bump that looks like a rivet, you need a steady hand to do it though. :wink:

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by AVA MANGO TWO » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:14 am

Ive managed to do two of these Catapults now and it was bugging me what i should do with them, i was planning to sell them in my next sale but something was ebbing at the back of my mind not to. As chance has it i was boxing away some of my Battledroids when i thought to my self hold on there just a minute these larger Catapults would fit right on in with the slightly larger and cruder Battledroids so i placed a BD Wolverine and one of my Bushmen next to them and what do you know they looked great together, so im really pleased i can add these two Cats to my chunky Battledroid's and they dont look out of place at all, as you can guess im really pleased about this... :D zac

Cazaril
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Cazaril » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:32 am

No group photo?

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by AVA MANGO TWO » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:23 pm

Ok do i detect the beginning's of a Kurtain Lance... :D

MechRat
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by MechRat » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:01 pm

Nice... :D They will look great in Redstar colors! :thumleft:
(avatar by Knightmare)

"Beware the quiet ones, for you know not what they think." - me

OurBattleTech - A place for Alternate Universes to call home

shalom itay
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by shalom itay » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:33 am

AVA MANGO TWO wrote:Ok do i detect the beginning's of a Kurtain Lance... :D
They can join the Kurtain company I'm building up :D

thatjimboguy
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by thatjimboguy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:39 pm

Looking good so far. I can't wait to see them painted.
"Win if you can. Lose if you must, but always cheat" - Jesse "The Body" Ventura

Remove
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Remove » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:31 pm

Here is what I did with them in the past few months.... http://imgur.com/a/LSkNr#0

And here is what I did with them 20 or so years ago..... http://imgur.com/TYXs4YR,45swd6A,Bq45Wu ... ,LfyQTLv#0

And a great reunion of the originals and the new.... http://imgur.com/uiICg1v

:D