Hidden Empire - Book III of the Dark Falcons Chp12 Pt1

Post your Battletech stories and read & rate the tales of others!

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk, Typhoon, trboturtle

MechRat
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by MechRat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:29 am

Rayo Azul wrote: That and my horror story. Fifteen chapters now uploaded and am getting some great reviews on Authonomy.com.
That's excellent news! :thumleft: So there is more available to read? I can't wait to check it out - it's got me hooked and it's rare for a horror story to affect me like that.
(avatar by Knightmare)

"Beware the quiet ones, for you know not what they think." - me

OurBattleTech - A place for Alternate Universes to call home

Rayo Azul
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Rayo Azul » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:49 pm

MechRat wrote:
Rayo Azul wrote: That and my horror story. Fifteen chapters now uploaded and am getting some great reviews on Authonomy.com.
That's excellent news! :thumleft: So there is more available to read? I can't wait to check it out - it's got me hooked and it's rare for a horror story to affect me like that.
Yep, more posted and more to come :thumleft:

As there is on HE. Have already posted the next part for SDIII.

Glad you're enjoying it.

Cheers

Rayo

Rayo Azul
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Rayo Azul » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:07 pm

Chapter Four

Elana was troubled: no word had been received from either Jax or Esteban’s force. She was certain that the AI was to blame and had put the whole of their forces on alert. All outlying personnel had been recalled and Mech’s were patrolling the approachs to the Fortress. What fighters they possessed had been recalled and their ship had been moved out of close orbit. It would be ready for when they need it, but she wanted to avoid any action on behalf of Billy.

Shuttles were waiting, powered up, to rapidly move her Elementals wherever they would be needed and a drop ship was also standing by. Where were they?

“Interference, Sir,” Jax nodded, it was as they had feared.

“Keep trying for a short while, although I really want to avoid any surprises from our erstwhile ally.”

Jax and his men were still within the shelter of the foothills; it would have taken him a lot les time if they had all been equipped as he, but that could not be helped. They needed to re-enter Billy’s complex with as little fuss as possible. Drones would be able to pick them up on their scanners, so they needed some form of diversion. As much as his men wanted to protect him, he was the only one who could do this job.

“Wait until you see the fireworks start, and then come running..”

He did not wait for an answer, but began to run. The exhilaration of the suit’s movement overtook him, and he soon forgot about the danger. Billy had made his first mistake in leaving him alive, it would not be his last.

The rubble was cleared away and Esteban could see the entrance clearly. Beyond the attempts at camouflage, a large tunnel stretched away. It was easily tall enough for his Mech to pass, but in the first instance precaution indicated that the Elementals would have to scout out any hidden dangers.

“Moore,” he said quietly, “the job is all yours.”

Moore and his team activated their external lights and moved inside, scanning as they did so. The walls were clearly man-made and a double metal track cut through the rock of the floor. Lights dotted the ceiling and walls, but they were inactive. Whoever had left this facility, had one so after shutting down all power.

“Nothing so far,” said Moore, as he led his men further in.

The floor sloped down, leading to a large circular chamber. Abandoned machinery littered the open space and they had to take some care to avoid the obvious pitfalls. On the other side of the chamber, another tunnel mouth could be seen and he motioned his team towards it.

Esteban was the first to receive indication of an approaching enemy; tactical information rolled across his screen, identifying the red dots as SLDF equipment. He had no doubt that they were unfriendly forces, but he tried hailing them anyway. Silence was his only reply and he ordered his men to their stations.

“Drones and shuttles,” he muttered, “what surprises to do you have tucked away, Billy?”

They had little time to wonder as the first missiles screamed towards them, blasting huge chunks of rock from the hillside.

“Return fire only when you have a lock,” he ordered. Esteban was more concerned at what was coming next. They had little ammunition and a long fight would be a serious disadvantage.

BeoWolf
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by BeoWolf » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:10 am

Nice update Rayo. Story keeps on getting more interresting.
Stay true to the dream of the Kerensky's, now and always.

BeoWolf
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by BeoWolf » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:45 pm

Hey dude, what's up????

Rayo Azul
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Rayo Azul » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:16 pm

Life :oops:

Don´t have a lot of free time right now:D

Bare with me and more will be posted soon.

Cheers

Rayo

Rayo Azul
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Rayo Azul » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:34 pm

...Hope this helps :wink:

Moore continued into the tunnel. His suit’s meagre lighting allowed him to at least see where he was going. Switching to infra-red had done him little in the way of a favour and now he insisted that his men split up and find some form of light. He was blinded briefly as light flooded the available space, and automatically switched from assisted vision to normal.

“Power on…”

It was a little late, but welcome. The tunnel stretched on, finally terminating in a double set of doors. A mess of wire and metal to the right-hand side, indicated where the door controls had been shot away. Scarring around it also seemed to show that someone had tried desperately to break in. It was curious that there was no other evidence; no bodies or spent weapons littered the area, it was as though it had been swept clean.

“Sir?”

Moore moved to see the where one of his men pointed. The damned sign was highlighted clearly on the left wall, a large arrow pointing towards the double doors.

“Looks as though we will have to do this the hard way,” Moore muttered and motioned the explosive to be brought forward.

“This had better be worth it, “ he said, as he saw the charges placed. He tried to contact Esteban, but received no reply.

Billy monitored his force’s movement as they approached the installation and began firing. It had been unfortunate that Jax had moved his training force into the area, but that would soon be taken care of. He had ferried a number of his drones there, both to give him air-cover and to allow signals to be relayed directly to him. Larger craft were now approaching, they had lifted light tanks to join the push.

It had been a shame to have had to kill Jax, though in reality Billy was incapable of feeling remorse. Once in control of the Complex, he had been able to reactivate many of the dormant installations and as each hour passed, he felt more secure. There was still the threat of the Frigate and the potential arrival of other external threats. It was because of this he had determined it necessary to open the warehouse; its contents would make him almost invulnerable.

Troops were mustering in the main warehouse of the complex; not all had remained loyal to the Dark Falcons. Those from the local populace had been torn between respect for Jax and his people and worship. They were of little consequence, but it helped. The next phase was the neutralisation of the Dark Falcon Fortress. Air strikes would be the most effective, however a ground attack would give him a chance to field test his awakened equipment.

The AI was still congratulating himself when he mentally shuddered as a number of his external sensors were destroyed explosively.

Jax had abandoned caution. He needed to draw fire so that his men could get close. His suit was flat out as he hit the open area in front of the entrance to the complex. The scream of a lock allowed him to use the precious missile in his launcher. It spat forth in a flat trajectory, smashing into the guard post and destroying the gun emplacement. Still on the same course, his machine gun began to hammer incessantly, bowling over any figure rising from the rubble and shattering local sensor arrays.

His radio crackled as his men reported their progress. They were taking too long! Icons flashed onto his screen and he began to curse.

Grunt213
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Grunt213 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:10 pm

Jax kicks ass :D

Head for the Hills, Grandma!

Rayo Azul
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Rayo Azul » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:43 am

End of Chapter...

The door finally gave in after the third charge; not only had someone sealed this side, they had also walled up the other side of the door. Moore was beginning to lose what little patience he had when the signal was passed that they were through. No-one had dared to be first and the Elemental used his power claw to tear the hole a little wider. At last he had sufficient room and he forced himself in. Freebirth! Another tunnel. Would this never end?

“You two,” he pointed at the nearest of his men, “with me, and the rest of you get on with widening this entrance.”

He did not wait to see if they obeyed him, merely moved on, his light faintly illuminating the way ahead.

A missile slammed into the building behind which Jax sheltered showering him with rubble. This was not going to plan; no relief was possible as his men were pinned down, even worse than he was. It was time for him to do something stupid.

Cursing, he activated his jets, they gave him added momentum as he shot towards the nearest emplacement, firing his machine gun incessantly. He had not quite reached the position when everything turned upside down.

Missiles bombarded the whole defensive line, straddling the enemy positions with frightening accuracy. Billy was crazy! He was sacrificing his own troops just to get Jax!

“I assume that you are still alive?” Elana’s voice boomed into Jax’s headset, “We realised you were suited up and decided to get this over with quickly. Sorry for any damage to your paintwork.”

“Elana, how...” began Jax, then, “never mind. I assume you brought a few people with you?”

“We did, and a few spare suits,” she replied, “where do you want us?”

“Right down Billy’s throat,” responded Jax, “He has some explaining to do...”

There had been one more door, which had needed a small charge to open it. This time due to the lack of power to activate the lock. Strange symbols had begun to appear on the walls, once they were beyond the door; writing but of an unfamiliar king to Moore. More pictograms were seen at each junction of the corridor, or at the entrance to any of the many rooms which they found. Above all, the recurring symbol was seen; it was that which had sparked off Esteban’s concern and was the only thing which Moore recognised.

“Follow the sign,” he ordered, they needed to determine exactly what risk they were facing and quickly. Moore was not sure how much longer Esteban could hold out.

MechRat
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by MechRat » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:27 am

You're making me crazy with suspense! :shock:
(avatar by Knightmare)

Rayo Azul
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Rayo Azul » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:15 am

MechRat wrote:You're making me crazy with suspense! :shock:
Ain't that the point? :twisted:

BeoWolf
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by BeoWolf » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:31 am

Rayo Azul wrote:
Normally, but you're driving us crazy with the long sessions between postings man. Crazy I tell you!!! :twisted:

Rayo Azul
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Rayo Azul » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:26 pm

BeoWolf wrote:
Rayo Azul wrote:
Normally, but you're driving us crazy with the long sessions between postings man. Crazy I tell you!!! :twisted:
Yeah, sorry, things are pretty hectic at the minute :x

Cheers

rayo

Davion_boy
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Davion_boy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:27 am

Thanks for posting, I really like your story.

Dave.

BeoWolf
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by BeoWolf » Sun May 23, 2010 7:10 am

What's happening in the DF's world? Long time we are waiting to find out what has happened to Jax & his crew.

Rayo Azul
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Rayo Azul » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:01 pm

This is strange. I have not read any of the DF work for a while, but am travelling at the minute and have some free time. I'm getting an urge to add some more....anyone up for that?

MechRat
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by MechRat » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:32 pm

Always!
(avatar by Knightmare)

Rayo Azul
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Rayo Azul » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:24 am

Chapter Five

“What can you see?”

“Nothing, give me more light…”

“Stop. What’s that?”

Moore turned and peered more closely, the boxes lay haphazardly against the wall, each one seemingly left where they had fallen, as though an undue haste had galvanised their former owners.

“Take care,” growled Moore, “experience tells me that this is just a little too easy.”

As if in direct response to his comments, the overhead lights flickered and were followed by a grinding noise.

“Contact!” screamed one of his men, “We have movement. Metallic and…frak!”

Moore had no need to ask for any explanation as a squat shape trundled into the corridor, arms extended towards him. He saw the puff of flame, followed by the roar of igniting gas. His sensors were blinded by the brilliant display and he heard a scream to his right, where one of his less-shielded men took the full brunt of the boiling discharge.

“Oh, no you don’t,” he said, aiming his auto cannon and firing.

Billy was unprepared for Elana’s arrival. None of his sophisticated spy network had warned him of the threat. As far as he was aware, she was still entrenched in the fortress awaiting his pleasure. There was only one real explanation and that was not all of his loyal troops were so. Weapons fire from outside, was mirrored internally. He switched his feed to the main warehouse area and was greeted by the sight of a pitched battle. Explosions ripped through his parked equipment, as shapes flitted forward, muzzle flashes stabbing forth. Well, he could deal with that.

“You said that you were willing to listen…”

All turned to watch the small screen which flickered into life. One man moved forward and nodded.

“Your freedom will be the reward if you provide me with a small service.”

“I am listening,” Star Captain Norizuchi growled, his deep voice expectant.

“I have a little trouble with some wayward Dark Falcons. Deal with them.”

“With pleasure,” said the Star Captain, and the cell door clicked open.

“Follow my directions to the letter. There are weapons awaiting you. Do not fail me or try any tricks. Your lives depend on it.”

Norizuchi smiled. He had been waiting for a chance, some way of regaining both honour and revenge. It seemed as though someone had been listening.

They were trapped. Esteban knew that there was no way down; light tanks and attack drones would tear them apart, the moment they stepped out from their defensive positions. However, he smiled to himself, the tanks still needed a way up here.

“All missiles will fire on the co-ordinates I am transmitting…now!”

He waited for the confirmation of his men then gave the order. With a whoosh, a volley of SRM’s arced upwards, their trajectory’s short and deadly. Almost at once they struck, their detonations tearing huge holes in the hillside and sending rocks tumbling down. The avalanche of stone gained momentum, a second volley striking at the now pockmarked hillside. With a groan, one side of the hill peeled away and added its irresistible force to its bouncing brethren. Slowly, the dust cleared and Esteban was satisfied. No tank could get through that. The only problem was that neither he or his men were going anywhere.

Elana hunched down beside Jax, her Elementals firing continually at the entrance way into the complex.

“Well, I would think that he knows that we are coming now?”

Jax laughed, “I’m sure that he does. The real question is how are we going to get inside?”

“Our fighters are airborne and our dropship and Mechs are on their way. They will land once we have neutralised his defences.”

“No,” said Jax, clear for the first time on his plan of action, “there is somewhere else we need to be.”

“What of our people inside?” asked Elana.

“Can you contact them?”

“Yes.”

“Okay,” Jax said, determination in his voice, “they are to cause as much damage as possible and make their way to us. We will form a beachhead in this entrance and hold it until they reach us.”

“And if they cannot?”

“Then they will make us proud,” replied Jax through gritted teeth, “and we will make sure that they are remembered.”

MechRat
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by MechRat » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:04 am

Excellent! More Dark Falcon goodiness! :D :thumleft:
(avatar by Knightmare)

BeoWolf
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by BeoWolf » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Nice to read some DF goodies again. Now keep it coming at a good pace ...... PLEASE!!!! :) :)

Rayo Azul
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Rayo Azul » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:52 pm

BeoWolf wrote:Nice to read some DF goodies again. Now keep it coming at a good pace ...... PLEASE!!!! :) :)
I shall try...if you join up and follow my blog :wink:

Nah, only kidding...good to see you're still around and I will try and pick up some pace with this :thumleft:

Rayo Azul
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Rayo Azul » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:10 pm

“Hunt.”

Norizuchi’s command was clipped, focused.

“One in three.” His voice cut across his men’s comms.

“We can only kill one in three?”

The question was petulant.

“No,” replied Norizuchi, his smile hidden behind the visor of his armour, “leave only one in three. Drive them away from the warehouse and let them believe they are escaping. They will lead us to their masters and then we will make them pay.”

True to his Ice Hellion upbringing, Norizuchi did not think of the consequences of finding the rest of the Dark Falcons, he just wanted to kill.

His men leaped forward, their machine-guns spitting slugs in what appeared a haphazard fashion. Their prey did not run, but fired back, each of the Dark Falcons maintaining discipline. As men died, the Ice Hellions aided their purpose; explosive charged still burst into life, but now the Clansmens’ weapons added to the destruction.

“Stop!”

Billy’s amplified voice roared into Norizuchi’s headset. His response was childish, he simply turned off his receiver.

No-one heard Billy’s cursing, or his threats.

“Sod this,” he muttered, passing his commands to two of the dormant light tanks within the warehouse, “you want to play fractions? Well, Daddy’s good with numbers…”

Identical turrets swivelled, locked onto their targets and the brilliant flash of PPC’s split the semi-darkness of the warehouse, spearing both friend and foe alike.

“Maybe now you’ll listen?”

Norizuchi’s voice broke into his laughter, “What are you doing!”

“All good little children listen to their parents,” Billy retorted, his voice hardening, “and if they don’t? Smackdown time!”

The PPC’s flashed into life once more, time and again. Their particle beams providing a colourful counter-point to the crazed machine’s maniacal laughter.

Moore resorted to brute force, powering his suit forward and tearing metal with his power claw. He ripped one of the arms to shreds, ignoring the flames which licked around him. Whatever the construct was, it was slow and lacking thought. Its only purpose seemed to be to defend its stretch of tunnel and it stoically withstood his assault.

“Charge!” he screamed.

His men understood him immediately, not interpreting the command as a suicidal onrush, rather one man peeling off and rushing forward with the explosive he required. Unbidden, a grunt escaped his lips; myomer muscles did the work, but Moore heaved and struggled within his protective shell. His effort was rewarded as he pulled the arm away from the tunnel, smashing it finally into the wall, and allowing his man to do his job.

“Clear!”

Instantly, Moore obeyed, igniting his jets to throw himself back. His comrade was not so lucky as he completed his mission, the force of the blast igniting the liquid within the machine’s reserves. There was no mourning, Moore and his remaining men pushed on; the thing had been protecting something and he wanted it.

BeoWolf
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by BeoWolf » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:14 pm

Now this is getting interesting. What was the old defence mecha protecting???

BlackHornet
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by BlackHornet » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:18 pm

Hmm... either nuclear or biological arsenal.
For some reason my money is on creepy biological crap.

But the SDLF really were stupid to incorporate all these automated systems into weaponized systems and structures.
BlackHawk01-"Everyone knows a cool BattleBuggy needs a bitchin' set of pipes..."

Rayo Azul
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Rayo Azul » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:47 pm

BeoWolf wrote:Now this is getting interesting. What was the old defence mecha protecting???
Hehe, you have been waiting a long time... :twisted: