Sarna Survey

Enjoy conversations with Battletech fans. Exchange ideas, ask questions, post new content.

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk, Steve Ronin

BobTheZombie
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Sarna Survey

Post by BobTheZombie » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:08 am

Hello all, once again Sarna.net is looking for feedback to help improve the site. A brand new survey is now online, and can be found here. The survey only takes a few minutes, and completing it will help us immensely.

Ravion Hawk
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: Sarna Survey

Post by Ravion Hawk » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:43 am

Did the survey.

You forgot lordsofthebattlefield.com

And I made my suggestion.
"I'm the Colonel of the Iron Ravens; when I end up behind the eight-ball I blast the thing with a Gauss rifle and move on."

BobTheZombie
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by BobTheZombie » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:34 am

Assuming you meant under the question "Which are your favorite BattleTech sites?" then yes, LOTB, along with No Guts No Galaxy and some others were missed, now that I look at it. It wasn't meant to be a comprehensive list, but if there are ones that aren't listed, then put them in the "other" option.

Ravion Hawk
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Ravion Hawk » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:34 am

I honestly thought you just ran out of options slots and had to put in an "other" box.

It isn't too much trouble putting it in the box.

I still want to know the actual tech base of the Ares since I can not find the TRO it is in.
"I'm the Colonel of the Iron Ravens; when I end up behind the eight-ball I blast the thing with a Gauss rifle and move on."

BobTheZombie
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by BobTheZombie » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:40 am

Ravion Hawk wrote:I honestly thought you just ran out of options slots and had to put in an "other" box.

It isn't too much trouble putting it in the box.
I wasn't the one who directly made the survey, but helped it along, so I have no idea if they did run out. Either way, I don't think it can be changed while the survey is live.

I still want to know the actual tech base of the Ares since I can not find the TRO it is in.
A little off topic, but the TRO is Technical Readout: 3145 Republic of the Sphere[1] and the tech base is Mixed.[2]

Ravion Hawk
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Ravion Hawk » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:18 pm

Thank you!

The wife and I have been scratching our heads over that.

My suggestion was (and since we have a page to look at) to put the tech base on the page right
above the "Mass" entry under the "Technical Specifications" header.

Sometimes I just look up the 'Mech name and still don't know the tech base unless the fluff
gives enough information to figure it out. But then again we do have some factions making
'Mechs from both tech bases. Many times I just want to see the pic and the weight and I don't
read the fluff. Then I have to rely on the load out to take a guess at the tech base.

BobTheZombie
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by BobTheZombie » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:00 pm

Glad I could help.

About adding it to the sidebar (called an InfoBox in wiki terms), I will see if I can get that added. There is already a Tech Base line on every ASF and BA infobox, so I'll see if we can update both the Mech and Combat Vehicle infoboxes. This is a really good idea, and wouldn't take very long to do,but I have multiple projects going on right now at the wiki keeping me very busy. I will put this on my to-do list and get to it as soon as possible. Thank you very much for the suggestion and feedback :D

Let me know if you have any other inquiries.

Ravion Hawk
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Ravion Hawk » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:04 am

I'm glad to be of service to you too.

Keep up the good work.

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Steve Ronin » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:19 am

is there an option to list which TRO the unit is first listed?
other than digging thru the footnotes at the bottom?

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE

BobTheZombie
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by BobTheZombie » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:47 pm

Ravion Hawk, I am currently trying to get consnsus to start the Tech Base project, so it may take a little while to get it finished. I'll keep you updated.

Steve Ronin, the Mech articles display the first variant of a 'Mech seen in canon material as the main subject, thus, the first reference (scroll down to the "References" section) will usually be where it was originally seen (the first book ref, not the link ref). If that sourcebook seems too current or you really want to double check, you could always look up the variant on the Master Unit List (i.e. the first reference that is a link). I hope that answers your question.

Feel free to keep the questions coming!

BobTheZombie
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by BobTheZombie » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:45 pm

BobTheZombie wrote:Ravion Hawk, I am currently trying to get consnsus to start the Tech Base project, so it may take a little while to get it finished. I'll keep you updated.
I'm sorry to report that the push for this has failed as it has been pointed out that it would take needed manpower away from current work, as well as the fact that the info is already found on each unit's respective MUL page. Unless you'd be willing to come and do it yourself, you might as well use the MUL. Sorry about the long wait for this response.

Ravion Hawk
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Ravion Hawk » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:06 pm

Not a problem.

Dumb question though, don't the other editors realize that we go to Sarna first and not the Master Unit List?

Not trying to split hairs, just putting that out there. Please take it as a compliment since we see your database as the first place to go if we don't have the TROs at our fingertips.

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Steve Ronin » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:42 pm

I haven't checked the MUL in months.
I check SARNA at least once a week.

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE

Ravion Hawk
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Ravion Hawk » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:11 pm

Steve Ronin wrote:I haven't checked the MUL in months.
I check SARNA at least once a week.
I've been to the MUL all of twice.

Even my wife knows to go to Sarna if she has any questions. And she is still a pup in comparison to us veteran players.

BobTheZombie
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by BobTheZombie » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:49 am

Thanks for the kind words guys; that means a lot. Perhaps I could put it somewhere on my list of things to do... The parameters are set on the infoboxes, so it wouldn't be too hard to add, it would just set back some projects that have been set back by projects that have been set back by... oh, you get it. This just won't go too terribly quickly with me adding to hundreds of pages on my own as well as my current projects which are in motion, but I'll make it work somehow.

BobTheZombie
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by BobTheZombie » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:55 pm

The last day to take the survey will be October 15, 2014. Your feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you to everyone who took the survey!

We plan on releasing the results to the public, and I will post again when that data is available.

Ravion Hawk
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Ravion Hawk » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:11 pm

Dunno if you are still around, but the Planet Bristol entry needs modification.

According to Wolf Pack pp. 128, Bristol is not on the I.S. maps and it was the hiding place for the Wolf Dragoons' supply cache. This causes serious problems since all of your sources show it as being on the I.S. maps.

This also means that the entry on MacKenzie Wolf needs updated to show that he was killed in the Bristol system.

BobTheZombie
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by BobTheZombie » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:26 pm

Ravion Hawk wrote:Dunno if you are still around, but the Planet Bristol entry needs modification.

According to Wolf Pack pp. 128, Bristol is not on the I.S. maps and it was the hiding place for the Wolf Dragoons' supply cache. This causes serious problems since all of your sources show it as being on the I.S. maps.

This also means that the entry on MacKenzie Wolf needs updated to show that he was killed in the Bristol system.
Sorry for the long delay; I was having technical difficulties logging in, but they've finally been sorted out. I'll relay this to the folks back at Sarna. Thanks for the feedback!

BobTheZombie
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by BobTheZombie » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:21 pm

Here's the message I got from a lead editor at Sarna:

The Bristol system described in Wolf Pack is an uninhabited system in the Periphery, in which the Wolf's Dragoons cached a lot of equipment before entering the Inner Sphere. The Bristol system described in this article is a different system - a fairly routine Inner Sphere system. Your correspondent seems to think the two systems are the same, which they aren't. It's far from the first time we've ended up with two locations with the same name - look at Albion, York, Victoria, Alexandria, etc. If you look at the articles on the Wolf Dragoons WarShips like the Nelson they highlight that the cache was in the Periphery. We don't have an article specifically on here about the Bristol cache, though. I'm not sure if there's enough information to write a system article - ClanWolverine101 is probably the person to ask, as he spends most of his editing time producing Wolf's Dragoons related articles.

Hope that helps.