COMMENTS to "RONIN'S RAMBLINGS"

Enjoy conversations with Battletech fans. Exchange ideas, ask questions, post new content.

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk, Steve Ronin

beaker
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: COMMENTS to "RONIN'S RAMBLINGS"

Post by beaker » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:36 pm

Even though I rarely post, I too have been a fan of "Ronin's Ramblings" it has always been an interesting read.
Thank You.
James's too early departure has left a hole in many a heart, and on many a Battletech site. I am sure he will NEVER be forgotten. Battletech fans seem too have long memories, and an ability to persevere.
Therefore take heed how you impawn our person, how you awake our sleeping sword of war:... Henry V

Dread
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dread » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:47 pm

I still read your blog posts, Ronin. I reply when I see them and I'm actually at a computer to type a reply. Otherwise the colander that my brain has become doesn't remember having even seen the post if look this up on my phone.

Hope things are going well for you, man.
"Ejection seats are for wimps! Real men ride 'em to the ground!" -- conversation overheard between a VTOL pilot and an aerojock.

Ravion Hawk
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Ravion Hawk » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:12 am

Steve Ronin wrote:Stay tuned: I'm looking into sponsoring a painting contest here at BTU.org
I'm in!
"I'm the Colonel of the Iron Ravens; when I end up behind the eight-ball I blast the thing with a Gauss rifle and move on."

Dread
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dread » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:00 pm

Love me some Legos. And I'll thumb wrestle you for the Halo Warthog.
"Ejection seats are for wimps! Real men ride 'em to the ground!" -- conversation overheard between a VTOL pilot and an aerojock.

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Steve Ronin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:32 am

I've got moderate carpal tunnel. You'd probably win. :?

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE

GRUD
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by GRUD » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:20 am

Steve Ronin wrote:I've got moderator carpal tunnel. You'd probably win. :?
Is that what you meant Steve? :lol:

WOOHOO! I got a "Shout Out" in Ronin's Ramblings! :lol: :thumleft: :thumleft:

I'm Glad I'm able to Help out those that can't make it to GC. :wink: :thumleft: :thumleft: While I helped fewer people this year, I think I actually got MORE individual items! The dollar amount was roughly what we've spent the past TWO years combined! :shock: I think the amount of Bits I got this year is double what I got last year, though I think the number of decals is less. I DID get more "Special Order" minis this year than last year though, in the case of minis that are normally only available in Lance Packs, some for myself, some for others.

As for the Halo Warthog, while I'm not a "Pickup Man", the Warthog IS one truck I'd LOVE to have! 8) The only bad side is that the gun in the back isn't operational. :cry: At one time I might've been able to afford one, but all I can afford now is the little battery-powered version at Wal-Mart. :( (And No, I don't have one of them either. :| )

Last but certainly NOT Least, James Degenhardt. :( Like many others here and a few other BT sites, I admired his work greatly, and had the Great Fortune to have commissioned him to paint several minis for me. I even had the Luck of winning some of his minis from eBay. I took 2 minis he'd painted for me to Gen Con this year and was allowed to put them in the display cabinet at the IWM booth, along with litte tags for each that had his name on them. Believe it or not, I actually thought (Briefly!) of taking my SLDF BD Behemoth! :lol: I went instead with the SLDF Primitive T-Bolt, along with my Hello Kitty Thunderbolt IIC. 8) I've Loved the T-Bolt since I started playing BT back in '86, and these are 2 GREAT Examples of his work.

While I never knew James very well, his death struck me harder than I would have expected it. Maybe it was the suddenness of it? To be Perfectly Honest, the deaths of Stever Irwin and Robin Williams hit me pretty hard also, and I've hardly seen anything with Steve Irwin. But really, who on earth did NOT expect him to be killed and eaten by a crocodile? I never had the Pleasure of talking with James on the phone, or the Honor of meeting him in person. I ALWAYS enjoyed what he had to post on the various BT forums though, even his non-BT minis. That he was a quick but Skilled painter, with a Passion for painting ANYTHING was obvious. I've heard that the CSO Artists are Trying to get Melody's Rockers Canonized in his Honor. They said there is NO GUARANTEE that CGL will do it, but I think it's GREAT of them to at least Try. It says a Lot of CGL also that they're willing to Consider it! I guess we'll have to wait and see, and Hope for the best, though I'm sure someone somewhere will make an Announcement if it comes to pass. Like the people at CSO, James WAS an Artist, his preferred medium just happened to be Miniatures rather than canvas or marble.

All of us that enjoyed his work are Poorer for his Loss, and once again my Condolences go to his wife Dawn.
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object.
"Remember. No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai - PhD, Rocket Scientist, Musician.
Mini Mule Avatar by Steve Ronin!

"THE PAPER CUT MASTER"

Dread
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dread » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:30 pm

Nice little history lesson, Ronin...

Dread
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dread » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:17 pm

Saw that video of their remake of Thunderstruck. I had to watch it three times in a row just to absorb the awesome.

skiltao
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by skiltao » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:49 pm

I read your posts, Ronin, and I enjoy the pics you collect. I usually don't have anything to say though, and the last few weeks I simply haven't been online enough to post.

Dread
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dread » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:31 am

Cool pics as usual, Steve... I really like the mech in urban combat.

I think the arty gif is from Warhammer 40k. Looks like a Commissar directing the gun.

Dread
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dread » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:23 pm

Yeah, we must have been pretty close in our timing for buying; I just got mine, too.

GRUD
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by GRUD » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:01 am

While visiting my Friends down in Memphis, I was able to watch the 2Cello videos. FUCKING AWESOME!! :shock: :thumleft: :thumleft: I ordered both of their CDs from Amazon (I couldn't fine either of them on eBay surprisingly!), and have since received them and listened to them. Even without the videos they still sound Incredible! I also saw the video of the two of them on the one Cello, playing "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall", and couldn't help but notice how much the one setting down looks so much like Jim Carey! :lol: Even better was the fact he was making a lot of faces I've seen Jim Carey make! :lol: I believe the guy's name is Stjepan?

Thanks for bringing these guys to my attention Steve! :D :thumleft: :thumleft:
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object.
"Remember. No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai - PhD, Rocket Scientist, Musician.

"THE PAPER CUT MASTER"

Dread
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dread » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:38 pm

Just got mine in today, Steve. Looks like we ordered mostly the same thing, though I'm supposed to have a trio of MAC II's in the next wave. Maybe a few other odds and ends, too.

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Steve Ronin » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:56 pm

3 MAC IIIs?! wowzers. I got one, and am doubtful I'll ever use it.
well, I'm supposed to get one, anyway.
I've also got some 'Phoenix Hawks' and some 'Crusaders'.
and I requested the SDF-1 as well...
altho in hindsight, If I could change the SDF-1 to more P-Hawks, I would.

Dread
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dread » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:57 pm

Well, mine is supposed to be used to make a spec-ops RP unit that I played with for some time. 225 Marines, 16 destroids, 6 VT's, and 3 MAC II's. We also had a competing VT unit which I hope to be able to put together as well.

GRUD
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by GRUD » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:31 pm

Dread wrote:Well, mine is supposed to be used to make a spec-ops RP unit that I played with for some time. 225 Marines, 16 destroids, 6 VT's, and 3 MAC II's. We also had a competing VT unit which I hope to be able to put together as well.
Maybe I'm thinking of something else, but I can't imagine a "MAC Monster" as being all that "Stealthy" enough for a Spec Ops Unit. :shock:

:lol:

Now I've got this vision of a MAC Monster with "I Am Stealthy"! painted in big bold letters across the front, as it tip-toes through a forest, not seeing the wide path of destroyed trees in it's wake! :lol:

"THE PAPER CUT MASTER"

Dread
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dread » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:25 pm

Stealth was not in the unit's primary operations doctrine. More like quick strikes with overwhelming local fire power. The MAC's were available for base of fire if the unit ended up getting bogged down.

Paint it Pink

Post by Paint it Pink » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:32 am

Thanks for the unboxing of Robotech. I passed on the Kickstarter, because for one I'm a bit broke and can only spend what little I have once, and secondly I'm an old fart with enough unseens to satisfy my needs.

Besides that I've been heavily into painting up miniatures for Steve Jackson Games Ogre/GEV. Still had a shed load to paint, but I'm about halfway done, which has taken nearly two years to get this far. Note to self, must paint more.

I'm having a break at Xmas from Ogre goodness and painting up some VOTOMS instead, sorry the Heavy Gear bug has bitten me, not too badly, but all the same I did put out for the Kickstarter.

So again, thanks for posting interesting stuff. Stay well, and to everyone reading this have a good Xmas and Happy New Year.

PS: click on my signature if you want to see what I've been up to lately.
The Unseen once seen cannot be unseen

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Steve Ronin » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:50 pm

WOWZERS.

what an awesome looking, well painted army!!!

and the Painter looks quite smart in her OGRE shirt too. :thumleft:
Good to see you looking healthy and whole. :D

GRUD
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by GRUD » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:23 am

Damn you Steve! :evil:

Because of you I now have all 3 of the CDs that 2Cellos have released! :lol: I even got the Deluxe Edition of their newest one because it comes with a DVD of some of their videos. I saw it at the local B&N the other day, and the B&N version apparently has 3 "Exclusive" tracks. Now I'm debating on if I should buy that one or not. :roll: And Yes, Stjepan STILL looks like Jim Carey to me! :mrgreen:

Thanks again for posting the Youtube link! :wink: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Would you call their Music "Classic Rock", or "Classical Rock"? :lol:

"THE PAPER CUT MASTER"

Dread
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dread » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:24 am

I have apparently managed to miss the last few posts. I'm really digging that A-10/Hind-D kitbash. That picture of the abandoned Star Destroyer was pretty nifty, too.

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Steve Ronin » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:16 am

yah, the SD grabbed my attention hard.

more cool stuff as I research some more.

Dread
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dread » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:01 am

Railguns on tanks? Cool, if they can figure out the power generation thing...

Paint it Pink

Post by Paint it Pink » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:01 am

Congratulations on the new job. I hope that you settle in and you have more time to do fun stuff that makes you happy.
The Unseen once seen cannot be unseen

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Typhoon » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:50 am

The Kickstarter minis look suspiciously like CAV mecha! I have a couple of those in metal, as I recall. They look good in plastic too.

A link to Reaper Miniatures CAV line:

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/CA ... ons/latest