Ideas for more skills to be in a new book titled A Time of War Administrative

Enjoy conversations with Battletech fans. Exchange ideas, ask questions, post new content.

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk, Steve Ronin

eLMsm
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Ideas for more skills to be in a new book titled A Time of War Administrative

Post by eLMsm »

Accounting INT + DEX
Advertising INT + CHA
Architecture INT + DEX
Assembling DEX + REF
Astrology INT + EDG
Astronomy INT + WIL
Athletics REF + STR
Bookkeeping INT + DEX
Clairaudience INT + CHA
Clairsentinence INT + CHA
Clairspeaking INT + CHA
Clairvoyance INT + CHA
Cleaning DEX + REF
Constructing REF + STR
Cooking INT + DEX
Dancing REF + STR
Digging REF + STR
Eating INT + DEX
Gambling INT + EDG
Laws INT + CHA
Mathematics INT *2
Obligatory Investments (Taxes) INT + EDG
Pharmaceutical INT + EDG
Reading INT + WIL
Recreation varies
Sewing DEX *2
Social Studies INT + CHA
Therapy INT + CHA
Typing INT + DEX
Weightlifting STR + REF
Last edited by eLMsm on Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:01 am, edited 5 times in total.
When do I “retreat” ? Only when I want to re+treat myself to eating cookies here in VT of USA. Here in VT, outside temperatures can get very cold; I suppose my miniatures won’t get overheated, ha ha.

GRUD
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: Ideas for more A Time of War skills

Post by GRUD »

I have to confess, I'm Confused as to WHY you want to:
A. Make BT MORE difficult, by adding more Rules, that are Generally MORE complicated than ANY Official Rules that have EVER existed.
B. Make BT NOT be BT as we know it.

And when I say "BT", I'm including the RPG as well, under whatever Rules Set you want to use. Since you seem to be a "Game/Rules Lawyer," this also applies to AeroTech, BattleDroids, BattleTech, Battlespace, Battle Force, Clan Force, and Solaris VII. Essentially ANYTHING to do with the BattleTech Universe, under ANY Rule Set. I'm sure you've got "Rules" to make the Succession War Board Game MUCH more complicated as well. Rather than try to warp BattleTech into Not BattleTech, why not play something else?

I'm going to break down your "Skills" list here.

=====================================================

Not sure Why you'd "Need" most of these, but I agree they're not bad, as far as a Well-Rounded Skill Group for a Character goes. Maybe as part of some Undercover Op, one of the characters has to enter (and do WELL in, if not Win) a cooking competition? Maybe someone is suspected of "Cooking the Books", and you have to use Accounting to investigate them? (Ok, THAT sounds Boring as Hell to me, but whatever. And I unintentionally went from Cooking to "Cooking"!) Not sure if Astronavigation is already a Skill or not (for Jumpship & Warship Operations), but I'd think it would cover Astronomy. Astrology has NO Real-World use, much less "In Game", but whatever. Bookkeeping = As Boring as Accounting, same as Laws, Obligatory Investments (Taxes), Sewing (WTF?), Social Studies, and Typing.

Of them all, the ones that Might actually be Useful are Architecture and Construction (mainly for "Blowing Buildings Up Using High Explosives"), Gambling, and possibly Recreation (the latter again as part of some Undercover Op, regarding some sporting event). I think Mathematics would be covered in a Jumpship or Warship Pilot's curriculum also. Outside of figuring a Jump, I'm not sure WHY a PC would need such a skill. Not sure WHO would want to be a Jumpship Pilot PC either. "You guys have fun on the planet, I'll just be floating around up here, waiting for you to get back. Or not." If the game used a Level-based System (something YOU are probably thinking about, I'm sure), the rest of the party would be Level 50, and the Jumpship Pilot JUST makes Level 2. Maybe.

Accounting INT + DEX
Advertising INT + EDG
Architecture INT + DEX
Astrology INT + EDG
Astronomy INT + WIL
Athletics REF + STR
Bookkeeping INT + DEX
Constructing REF + STR
Cooking INT + DEX
Dancing REF + STR
Gambling INT + EDG
Laws INT + CHA
Mathematics INT *2
Obligatory Investments (Taxes) INT + WIL
Pharmaceutical INT + DEX
Recreation varies
Sewing DEX *2
Social Studies INT + CHA
Therapy INT + CHA
Typing INT + DEX
Weightlifting STR + REF

These are IN NO WAY related to the BattleTech Universe. What, no "Spellcasting" skill? You don't want your MW to be able to cast "Fireball" at a Clan 'Mech? NONE of these exist IN REAL LIFE, so WHY want them in the BT Universe? Also surprised you don't have "Divination" in there.
"Your PC cuts open the pig, and does a "Reading" on the entrails. Make a Skill Check."

Clairaudience INT + CHA
Clairsentinence INT + CHA
Clairspeaking INT + CHA
Clairvoyance INT + CHA

If you can't do these naturally, WITHOUT having to make a "Skill Check", there is No Way In HELL they're going to let you pilot a Multi-Million C-Bill War Machine. EVER! If you're an Invalid and can't feed yourself ("Eating"), then you're Pretty Useless in combat.

Cleaning DEX + REF
Digging REF + STR
Eating INT + DEX
Reading INT + WIL

And then there's this one. "What" are you Assembling? A cardboard box? An office chair? A fusion engine? The first two are a VASTLY different "Skill Set" than the latter. It is NOT a "One Size Fits All" sort of Skill. Just because I'd let your character, "MW Tuckness", assemble an office chair, there is No Way In HELL I'm letting him within 20 meters of a fusion engine.

Assembling DEX + REF
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object.
"Remember. No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai - PhD, Rocket Scientist, Musician.
Mini Mule Avatar by Steve Ronin!

"THE PAPER CUT MASTER"

eLMsm
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: Ideas for more A Time of War Administrative skills

Post by eLMsm »

Hi GRUD, I prefer each of those skills (listed above) to be each entirely optional and for all of those skills (listed above) to be published in a new Rulesbook called A Time of War Administrative (basically a rules level beyond A Time of War Companion). I don’t know anything about Succession War Board Game, though. But some rules I want omitted from some BT Rulesbooks entirely to make BT less complicated, some TW rules I want in other BT Rulesbooks such as TO or SO (so TW is less complicated) , some TO rules I want in SO (so TO is less complicated) , some SO rules to be in IO (so SO is less complicated) , some IO rules I want to be in a new Rulesbook called BattleTech Vicious (to make IO less complicated) , I have called for TO Linking Weapons rules (adjusted without End phase part to provide for any optional combinations of linked attacks) to be in TW to save time and to optionally greatly reduce complexities of attacking, I want Gyros to use Fractional Accounting to move decimal point two positions to the left for simplicity, I want internal structures to use TO Fractional Accounting rules to save time, and I want for TW to be republished and retitled as Tournaments of Solaris 7 (ToS7) while having a new Total Warfare Rulesbook published that has all BT rules except for: Abstract rules, BattleForce rules, and other simpler rules such as perhaps Alpha Strike. I theorize your reply above is going to be more complicated than this reply that I’m taptyping now. :wink:

Cooking is good to know how to make safe healthy foods and safe healthy beverages; otherwise your Character could get sick or killed from germy and/or poisonous food(s) and/or germy and/or poisonous beverage(s) ; AToW and/or AToWC does mention foods and beverages of some affiliations. Astronomy is also related to traveling at night in a world’s atmosphere, on surface, or underwater (use a flexible rotateable pierescope mast mount). Astrology, I added that for a sense of humor, come to think of it, Astrology could perhaps be used to determine some interesting role playing life path events. Accounting and Bookkeeping I’m sure some GMs don’t provide Characters with businesses without some kind of accountability, Advertising is good for selling to get huge Wealth, Athletics is good for spies and Characters competing for prizes, Architecture and Construction are good for designing and building buildings like fortresses such as Castles,

Clairaudience & Clairspeaking & Clairvoyance & Clairsentinence are good for use for intelligence gathering to determine which forces to use in batchalls against the Clans and for insider trading for C-bills (Divination or Unionization as I prefer is practically the same as those skills and some BT affiliations do study some real life religions)

http://www.oocities.org/remoteviewerorg/

(wait about nine seconds for each of those names links you can click of that names links list) , Dancing and/or Gambling (in contests for C-bills) , Mathematics are also used for Accounting and Bookkeeping and Computers and designing, Laws for protocols and good for spies to reduce getting caught, Obligatory Investments (Taxes) surely you’d want to impose tariffs on products imported from affiliations that aren’t at war with your affiliation, Sewing is for making uniforms and other clothing for characters (yes spies and special operations and hostile environmental travelers have to be equipped with special clothing) , Social Studies for interacting and negotiating with other affiliations successfully that you want to ally with, Typing like if you want to send coded messages, Cleaning & Digging & Eating & Reading could be of varied advanced competitions for jobs and/or spies might have to do them quickly (if you eat quickly, then you might accidentally choke if you’re not familiar with some foods) , Assembling could be of weapons parts and/or other items, Pharmaceutical for knowing which medicines to prescribe (like for diseases and/or some Negative Traits) , Recreation so your Characters can have fun in an affiliation and when they travel, Weightlifting for lifting more kg of items and/or Characters especially wounded Characters and interrogated Characters. I didn’t include Spellcasting because magic probably wouldn’t be included in AToWA (at least not yet). Trekkies, that like the Q, would love Spellcasting in AToWA. :D :lol: :wink: :P

Who is MW Tuckness? Wait a minute, were you replying about that William Tuckness guy that posted at BTU some years ago? Do you know him? His Character is not in any game I’ve played with nor have I played with him.

Here’s three more skills:
Caseworking INT + CHA (some Characters could perhaps be homeless such as some Veteran Characters that are perhaps homeless, Characters that escaped from terrorists, Characters freed from incarceration) .
Psychiatry or Calming as I prefer INT + DEX (some Characters could perhaps have PTSD) .
Psychology or Psychicology as I prefer INT + EDG (some Characters could perhaps need counseling) .
When do I “retreat” ? Only when I want to re+treat myself to eating cookies here in VT of USA. Here in VT, outside temperatures can get very cold; I suppose my miniatures won’t get overheated, ha ha.

GRUD
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: Ideas for more skills to be in a new book titled A Time of War Administrative

Post by GRUD »

Basically, you're wanting MORE rule books created, when 99.99999999999% of ALL OTHER BT players are Unhappy with the CURRENT number of Rule Books.

You want MORE Rules, to complicate things even FURTHER, when again, 99.99999999999% of ALL OTHER BT players are Unhappy with the CURRENT number of Rules, because they make things more complicated than they need to be already. But YOU want to Quadruple-Down on them?

=================================================

"Clairaudience & Clairspeaking & Clairvoyance & Clairsentinence are good for use for intelligence gathering to determine which forces to use in batchalls against the Clans and for insider trading for C-bills (Divination or Unionization as I prefer is practically the same as those skills and some BT affiliations do study some real life religions)"

No, they're not good for ANYTHING, because there is No Such Thing as ANY of them. Again, these DO NOT Exist in OUR Current Real World, thus, there is also NO reason for them to Exist in BattleTech, in ANY form whatsoever. You've got people that will Lose Their **** when you mention "Far Country" and the Alien Tetatae. WHY try to add other things that don't exist in Our Reality?

As for "Clairspeaking", I believe what you're thinking of is Mental Telepathy. Which, again, DOES NOT EXIST in Real Life.

Clairsentinence - Do you mean "Clairsentience"? I actually found that using a Dogpile Search for "Clairsentinence". While there are several results, each explanation is as much Bullshit as the next. Give Auntie Cleo a call and she'll tell your fortune also! No, wait, I think she's in prison for fraud. Might want to wait before making that call.

And not a one of these has a thing to do with Religion, so I'm not sure where that came from.

"Assembling could be of weapons parts and/or other items, Pharmaceutical for knowing which medicines to prescribe"

Assembling is still MUCH too broad. And people that assemble weapons are either Gunsmiths or Armorers. They're NOT "Assembly Workers". A 'Mech Technician knows how to tear apart, repair, and reassemble any weapon you'd need on a 'Mech. So long as they pass their "Technician" Skill Check of course. Most of us that were in the Military knew enough to breakdown, clean, and reassemble our firearms that we trained on. While "learning" how to do so with different weapons would take a little bit of time, it wouldn't be all that difficult. If you're trying to do that while in combat, you might as well settle for using it as a club. It will take MUCH longer than 6 (or 10?) Seconds to take apart a firearm, much less to even begin to fix it, then reassemble it.

Doctors generally know what medicines to prescribe. You are grasping for a level of detail to a game MANY people cry about being too complicated already. Again, you are wanting to make it MORE complicated, so as to remove ANY Fun or Joy from playing at all. Why not just enroll in a college/technical school, and take accounting, if you really don't want to enjoy playing a game?

Of ALL your rambling, I can agree on the Fractional Accounting (FA) bit, but expand it to the Entire Construction process, or at the least Engines and Gyros. If the weight of the Gyro depends on the Engine, if you use FA for the Engine, you'd Naturally need to use it for the Gyro.

"Who is MW Tuckness? Wait a minute, were you replying about that William Tuckness guy that posted at BTU some years ago? Do you know him? His Character is not in any game I’ve played with nor have I played with him."

I don't "Know" him, I just remember he liked posting overly-complicated "New Rules", very few of which were even REMOTELY based on the actual BattleTech Universe as the rest of us know it. Like You, he also liked to post his Munchkin Rules, where people needed +100 (or higher) "To Hit" his "Wonderful" Uber-Munchkin designs. :roll: Numbers that are Impossible using the current 2D6 system that BattleTech has ALWAYS used. I figure you guys must be Brothers, Cousins, or at least Close Friends. When will you be posting your Wonderful New Rules for Bop drives for Jumpships and Warships, or Monitor Battle Stations? :roll:
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object.
"Remember. No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai - PhD, Rocket Scientist, Musician.
Mini Mule Avatar by Steve Ronin!

"THE PAPER CUT MASTER"

eLMsm
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: Ideas for more skills to be in a new book titled A Time of War Administrative

Post by eLMsm »

What proof do you have that 99.99999999999% of BT players are currently unhappy with the current number of BT Rulesbooks? Rick Raisley’s reply (click on this link to read his reply). GRUD, are those players, that you replied about, actual BT players or potential BT players or former BT players? Also, remember that the higher Level Advanced and/or Experimental Rulesbooks each have optional rules for playing BT.

http://www.heavymetalpro.com/forums/vie ... ular+Level

Yes, I meant Clairsentience. And those four Clair skills do exist in real life. Watch TV shows Penn & Teller: Fool Us, Masters of Illusion, White Magic, Mindfreak, Street Magic, and Princess Tenko. Did you click on the link that I provided in my most recent previous reply? Did you click on each of those name links and thoroughly read about those Remote Viewers Psychics (Clairvoyancers) ? Read all the writings of as many different religions or spiritualities as possible because some of them perhaps do mention Clairlike experiences. And Clair skills are good for locating nouns including specific nouns, discovering inventions, writing books & magazine articles, painting pictures, composing songs, designing games. As for aliens extraterrestrial beings and Clair skills, watch and listen to all the episodes of Ancient Aliens on the History Channel. Having Sixth Sense Trait must probably be a prerequisite to get Clair skill(s).

I define fun as:

Forever & Friendly
Utterly
Noveltious

and I define joy as:

Jolly,
Optimized & Optimistic
Yesly.

What do you define fun and joy as?

Furious
Utterly
Nefarious?

Just
Only
Yesmen?

In my affiliation, all assembly of weapons is labor unless robots do assembling of weapons.

Okay, we can negate Pharmaceutical Skill, or have DEX replaced with EDG for that skill because some Doctors sometimes don’t always know the best medicines to prescribe and some of them have been writing illegibly.

Fractional Accounting shouldn’t be for percentage multipliers of vehicle cockpits/control rooms because lighter tonnage vehicles would have cockpits massing from 5kg to 1 ton, while others would have cockpits massing much more unnecessarily. That reminds me, vehicle cockpits should be like ‘Mechs and vice versa: because if a ‘Mech can have autoloading mechanisms, then so should a vehicle; and if a vehicle can have multiple Characters as multiple gunners including the ability to negate Attacker Movement Modifiers, then so should a ‘Mech; I like use interchangeable parts and multitrained Characters that can each use different vehicles sequentially and/or simultaneously. Fractional Accounting is available for Engines according to HeavyMetal.
You want MORE Rules, to complicate things even FURTHER, when again, 99.99999999999% of ALL OTHER BT players are Unhappy with the CURRENT number of Rules, because they make things more complicated than they need to be already. But YOU want to Quadruple-Down on them?
Of ALL your rambling, I can agree on the Fractional Accounting (FA) bit, but expand it to the Entire Construction process, or at the least Engines and Gyros. If the weight of the Gyro depends on the Engine, if you use FA for the Engine, you'd Naturally need to use it for the Gyro.
You seemed to have somewhat contradicted yourself regarding your comment of that I want to make BT more complicated despite: how I explained my idea for a TW version of TO’s Linking Weapons rules, in another topic that TW Strafing rules must be omitted from BT, my Alternative Vehicle Critical Hits Table rules, and that some BT rules of some Rulesbooks must be in higher Levels Rulesbooks or in new Rulesbooks to reduce weight of current Rulesbooks; and yet perhaps you only agree with me regarding Fractional Accounting.

I don’t know William Tuckness, but I did meet two William guys decades ago (I can’t remember each of their surnames) ; maybe either of them was him. Great minds tend to think alike, though. But he had used “probots” when communicating about ‘Mechs, and he initially seemed eager to combine the Low & Narrow Profile Design Quirks on Units perhaps including LAMs; I haven’t done any of that with any topic and/or any reply that I put at BTU; and I do oppose either or both of those two Design Quirks on any LAM because: lowlife Characters and narrow-minded Characters probably wouldn’t use one or more LAMs.

A member of HeavyMetalPro.com , that identifies himself as ilikeTWTOSOIOAToW , posted rules for some kind of quad reels bop drive, I must have aged about a month from the stress of reading those rules (click on this link to read those rules for the 4rbopdrive) :

http://www.heavymetalpro.com/forums/vie ... ve#p245802

Here’s three more skills:

Gwenafffffftaifffying (farming and fishing) varies + varies: based on technology and conditions

Growing
Wonderful
Excellent
Nutritious
Awesome
Foodcrops
Feedcrops
Fibercrops (like hemp and sponges in ponds or lagoons)
Flowers
Fish (and other water animals)
Ferns (and other plants)
Trees
Animals (for wool, goat silk, eggs, milk)
Intellectually
Friendly
Funnily
Funly
Yummily

Journalism INT + CHA
Recycling various + various (depending on conditions and technology)